Wednesday, March 18, 2009

socks that rock!


Yippeee!!!

I am psyched to have knit my first pair of socks! I found that they were surprisingly... easy. I don't usually like knitting things in pairs, but socks were so much fun to do and magical to create, that I looked forward to turning another heel!


One thing that made these socks really wonderful to knit was the bigger gauge and size 7 needles. You only need to cast on 40 sts and can work in almost any worsted weight yarn. I chose Berroco's Comfort for it's machine-washability (50% nylon and 50% acrylic or something like that) and for the value (210 yards for $5.99!), but am surprisingly happy with how soft this yarn is and easily it knits up! I also chose to knit the socks with very little, well ok, no, leg. I started with a simple 1" cuff then jumped right into the heel flap without fear, making for a cozy little slipper style sock that takes little time to stitch.


There are so many important knitting skills involved with socks, which is mainly the reason I wanted to learn to make them. Picking up stitches, knitting short rows, grafting with the kitchner stitch and not to mention decreasing with both ssk and k2tog, though the toughest thing about knitting socks may just be the double pointed needles! They're my biggest weakness, but I am getting better only with practice.


If you are interested in learning to knit socks, I recommend a class, since a lot of the steps make more sense when you see them demonstrated in person. (This sock class is offered at Unravel Yarn Shop in Las Cruces.) If you feel daring you could give this pattern a try... and keep a book like Stitch and Bitch or Knit Aid on hand because that has answers to everything!


Happy knitting and good luck!

5 comments:

Bec said...

These look SO super comfy - and gorgeous colour too! I'm very envious. I suspect that knitting socks will always be WAY beyond me...
:)

Maryse said...

They are so cute! I have yet to learn knitting socks, but I can feel it's coming soon! I have the yarn already, I just don't want to jump ahead what I have already started! Congratulations!

vanessa said...

Thanks, Bec! They are a lot easier to make than you might think. I bet you'd have no trouble at all!

Maryse, I understand!! I try to keep all my projects limited to only a few at a time, or else I just don't finish anything! Thanks for your compliments. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice work. Socks are fun, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT!

Also, very nice photography...

You are really rocking this knitting thing, girl!