Wednesday, June 07, 2006

How they came out...



I know, I know. I have read a million different instructions for felting that tell you what to and NOT to do and using front loading washing machines was definitely on the DON'T list! As always I was defiant and used the only resources that I had. Well, I did it anyways and it as bad as I thought they were going to be. I tried to remain positive during the experience, but was extremely nervous when the washer door was locked and I couldn't check in on my piece. When I eventually rescued it from the sudsy tumbling, I found that it had not just felted, but was completely stuck together inside -- my bag felted shut!! I was able to carefully pull it apart and reshape it a bit, but the over all experience was more than I could take! ahhhh.

I reshaped it with shopping bags and let it dry on a towel....


Even though the piece looks somewhat normal now and after it dried, I can see that the felting is very uneven and inconsistent. Some areas are tightly tightly felted and hard while other patches still have holes were the stitches can be perfectly made out! Not cool!

this weekend I am house sitting and will bring my knitting along to experiment with (hopefully) a better washing machine. Anyone know what I can do to save this piece? I may try hand felting it in the areas that look worst. At this point how much damage could I do?

No comments: