Monday, December 17, 2007

necessary accessory.

I made these fingerless gloves for my friend Rachael, hopefully she doesn't check the blog. Either way, she'll be getting them in a few days!
I designed them so that the top part is really wide and can cover your hand for added warmth, or flip back to free up your hands when you need to get something from your purse or god forbid smoke a cigarette. If I were a really good friend I'd make it more difficult for her to smoke!

I didn't use a pattern, just sort of made them up as I went. I am getting better at writing down what I do so that I can a) repeat it, especially in a situation like this where I need to make more than one and b) so that I can share it with you. Let me know if you are interested and I will type it up this week. I also found good pattern tutorials for making things like these on purl bee and knitty, as always.

I'm hoping Rachael likes these. When we lived in Boston she always wore fingerless gloves -- simply chopping the fingers off her mittens or making them out of old socks and tights! I figured she'd like her own, well made pair. It is true, living in the city these are a necessity. Digging out your bus pass with mittens on is nearly impossible. Plus not to mention all the pairs of conventional gloves I took off inside Dunkin' Donuts when I was paying, then, excited about my warm caffeinated beverage, I left them behind. I'd walk outside and when I would realize it, I'd also see the train coming... gloves, train, gloves, train? Usually train would win.

No comments: